Monday, July 14, 2014

Koi Fish Card for Lisa

Hello!

Hope you all had a nice weekend.  I certainly did.  Saturday was my friend's, Lisa, birthday party.  She turned the big 4-0 a few days before and we were getting together to celebrate.  She told me that the theme would be fish and lots of flowers, hibiscus, plumerias, etc...  So I told her that I would make her a birthday card with fish and boy did I ever!!  Here's the card featuring 3 separate dies.


I know! It's so busy yea? hahaha!!  Well once I started I really couldn't stop!  I made this in to a shaker card and boy it was not easy!  (sigh)  First up I used a Memory Box Clever Koi die and cut out 8 of the fishes.  There is a lot of cool details once you cut the fish out.  I googled koi fish images because I wanted to color them up as close to the real ones as possible.  Using several different Copics I had a fish party.  I think I did a pretty good job, what do you think?


I don't know which one is my favorite... Possibly the orange with the black dots and the gray fins.  I had a blast coloring these up.  Using mostly the stippling technique.  I chose to use the same background stamp I used on this card, for the background on today's card.  Inked the stamp up with both brown corduroy and peeled paint because all koi live in dirty water. (eww right?!) I left a 1/4" white border around the whole piece.  


Next, I positioned 6 of the koi randomly, as if they were swimming in their own little pond.


I just realized that I adhered the top part upside down! hahaha! Oh well it's so busy you can't really tell.  I used a Swirls cutting plate from Taylored Expressions.  I used the same background stamp and inks to ink up the swirls piece.  I cut a piece of acetate to fit the cover and added the dimensional adhesive all the way around the border.  So that it wouldn't collapse on the inside I added some pieces of dimensional tape underneath parts of the thicker swirls.  Next I poured in bitty beads in turquoise, green, copper and clear then closed up the last part.  The last two koi went on top of the card.  I added them to the corners along with some cherry blossom flowers from La-La Land Crafts to the corners and underneath the koi.  Colored them with Distress inks (worn lipstick and mustard seed) and added Hero Arts flower gems to some of them for some bling.  The sentiment is a laser die from Island Scrapbooking which I colored with Copic YR09.  Down below is the koi fish I really liked and you can see the beads...


Here's a close up of the top part of the card where I added more of the cherry blossoms and the last gold koi fish.


Can you see the details on the koi and the cherry blossoms?  These are really great dies, that give awesome details. I'm pretty sure I'll be using all the dies on this card again and again... And with that I'll stop.  Whew! I appreciate if you read all the way through, thanks.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Thanks for stopping by, have a great week!!

3 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Ahh so gorgeous, love the card, fish and everything about it.xxx
♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

Creations by Shirl said...

Lovely kois, great job!

Cely said...

it looks so fabulous! love it!