Thursday, January 9, 2014

Year of the Horse calendar

Hi!

Today I wanted to share a quick and easy coaster calendar featuring the Year of the Horse from Sister Stamps.

Year of the Horse coaster calendar

Super simple and easy to make.  I used a regular cardboard coaster, covered it with a scrap of orange chrysanthemum washi paper that I bought from Hanko Designs.  I thought the paper was just a bit too bright so to soften it up I brushed on some white gesso.  What a difference it made.  I stamped a few kanji words in the four corners with gold ink.  The calendar is matted with a scrap of Navy blue cardstock from Recollections.  The Year of the Horse is from the Sister Stamps Zodiac series and you can read all about it HERE.  It also happens to be this year's zodiac symbol.  I tried to color it up like a golden horse but it looks more like a dark honey color, that's okay, I like it anyway.  After fussy cutting the horse I added pop dot adhesives behind and positioned it right above of the calendar.

Year of the Horse
Thank you so much for stopping by today!  Have a terrific day!

Hugs,
Leanne

4 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

Ka-ute Leanne~

Shar said...

I love it!!!!

Jenny said...

So that's how you did it! Love the gesso'd look!

Colleen said...

Happy New Year Leanne! I love it! It's the perfect project for the new year. The washi paper that you used is very pretty. I've never used gesso before. I'll have to try it out one day. Have a great weekend!